I wish I could be a guy for a week. Or maybe be a series of different guys over the course of a week. I would like to perceive the world from that angle, because I wonder if they are like girls and there are different levels of sexual preoccupation or if it's just high across the board. I wonder if it would shock me. (either way).
The roots of this are in my moving-to-BC situation (what doesn't have roots in that these days). Rob and I were agreed that being roommates would be ideal and practical and fun, and not to mention: safe. Turns out his church leaders/bosses have a different outlook--which I respect and am more than willing to accommodate and hear out. Personally, I have no qualms about living with guys and I come from a family of very disciplined and loyal characters who make it a point in life to stick to our guns and beliefs. And I have a huge bone to pick with the "Christian culture" that puts more emphasis on hiding out from sin than confronting and defying it in Christ's name. This "spirit" of self-preservation is an evil one as far as I'm concerned, but that's a whole other story. If you think I'm a raging heretic, ask me about it sometime. I may or may not be making overstatements to offend you.
Now. Not to be a victim of my circumstances, I have decided to devote some time to figuring out whether or not I am just an ignorant secularized whore who needs the bible and a convent-apartment. 'Cause y'see, I will be the first to admit that I am a far cry from the pheromone-soaked girl who just blasted into the shop hunting for decals to complement the huge pink playboy ones she's putting on her car. Not to say I'm completely oblivious to the inherent sexuality that females possess--I've had over a decade's worth of thoughtful Betty Boop/porn star referencing reminders of the fact that I have curves, and more than enough teenage "suitors" professing their appreciation for older women--but I've made a point of focusing on a different Power in my life. And this focus I'm so used to by now makes me have to step back and squint when someone suggests I could be a threat to it.
I've been friends with several guys over the years, and I've never seen myself as a "stumbling block" to them whatsoever--I'm way too boring and plain for that kind of business. Aren't there certain girls that guys just don't think of like that? That are safe to live with and not dread? I mean, I read that Captivating book and "celebrated my femininity" and all...but I gotta say: it kind of offends me that I could be put on a shelf along with meth and internet porn. Just for being a girl. Surely not every person you set a drug in front of would be compelled to take it--surely not every male you could put me in an apartment with would have an irrepressable desire to be with me. Here is where we get to the great beast of Subjectivity.
Fair enough is a church's argument that co-ed living arrangements might not be an "appropriate witness" or could cause brothers to stumble, as such a circumstance might be construed as a gateway to sexual sin... But what about Christians taking jobs that pay ludicrous amounts of money? Isn't money even more dangerous than sex (see: The Bible and/or the actual founding force behind the sex trade industry), and yet there is no patrolling spirit in our churches discouraging the contexts that could serve as witnesses to riches and gateways to materialism. Ah, but we are much more willing to consider subjective situations when money is involved--maybe they will be good stewards and resist the temptation to build up earthly kingdoms in favor of charity and Christian influence! However, children, when it comes to sex let us just make objective blanket statements so we don't have to think too hard. "The fact is, boys have penises and girls have vaginas and obviously, 2+2=sex. What's that you say? He's a dentist and she has 6 credit cards? Well, let's hear them out."
(Just to clarify: These are just some overall observances about the modern church--no church in particular, should you think I'm being horrible and mocking Rob's church--like I said, I'd be endlessly happy to hear them out on their position.)
The bottom line is this:
I am trying to figure out whether or not I am in denial over my roles (chosen and not) in creation and this life. And I wish the church would do the same.
Monday, July 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
shaina, you are definately a stumbling block for me.
joking.
Our culture, as i have said in too many conversations, is way too taboo about sex-related topics. if you mention the word "sex" in church, it is accositaed with "having sex", and "not before marrige".
with that taboo any mature conversation about our sexuality, our roles as men and women, focuses on dry and narrow views.
there is a serious problem with that. its that we are limiting ourselves from the profound challenges of relationships. all this in the name of "try to avoid sin and heartbreak at all costs".
the thing about love (and i'm not talking about the limited romantic view of love) is that it takes risk. to be loved we have to risk being rejected, and broken.
trying to avoid the dangers of love by holding such a narrow view is like never eating vegetables again because we are afraid that we might cut ourselves chopping them.
terrible analogy... but i think i'll use it for a youth talk someday.
ugh it's so true. how cadaverous and irrelevant the average "christian attitude" is in relation to the supersexualized society it has ironically tucked itself into!
i loved what you said here about "limiting ourselves from the profoud challenges of relationships." that is complete truth and this all struck me well (even the veggies bit--i can appreciate a good youth-friendly analogy: welcome to my weekend!)
gahhh this would be a good discussion, i love this theme of keeping ourselves away from risk and danger!
if anyone is actually reading this comment, please go read John 17. or john fischer's Fearless Faith.
I think there's an obvious solution to your situation with Rob...tell his church board that you're a lesbian. Problem solved. Seriously, sometimes I think that you don't even think of solutions, you just let me come up with them all myself.
bahahah! aaron...you always know just what to say. and you're right. i do just leave it all to you--it's the crux of our relationship.
Oh, now that she's a lesbian, I suddenly become interested :))!!!
uh-oh...aaron, always propogating alternate personalities...ummm...i'm not actually a lesbian...so i apologize if that inspired any misinterpretations?
(however: a PS for di if she reads this...i dropped by your blog to see who you are, and i have yet to read more, but i have a feeling we could be kindred spirits! i'll have to read some more of your blogs :)
Thank you for reading... if you spot any English mistakes please let me know (this makes me worried when I write); hope you'll enjoy it, as I enjoy writing it.
Post a Comment